Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I Know - I'm a Slacker...

Where have I been you ask? Well - I don't really know, but it's kept me busy. I am in awe everyday when I read my daughter's blog. Honestly I don't know how she finds the time to recap her days, work full-time, oversee the building of her new home, manage two feisty kids, maintain her sanity while her husband works nights to protect our city and build furniture! But she does... I can only wish...

There is no way I could catch you up on all that I have been doing, so I'll just share a few moments that "took my breath away" over the past few weeks...

This is one of my favorite pictures. Just Ashton and me. And we both look pretty good. Ashton just turned 11 on December 9. I find it hard to believe she is so grown up. I remember the day she was born. We were all waiting in the hospital waiting room for her arrival, and suddenly she made her entrance. I'll never forget the feeling of being a grandmother and holding that little angel in my arms. That was such a special moment - but this picture is also a very special moment. I love being Ashton's MaMa!

One of the things I love most is reading. I am a part of a book club that meets once a month. We always find some great books to read and then when we get together we rarely talk about the book! But we talk about almost everything else. From relationships (and the lack thereof) to family and kids - it's such a special group and we really enjoy the time we spend on Thursday evenings at Taco Cabana! It's become a tradition (2nd annual) to have our Christmas club at my house. We bring great snacks and a wrapped book to exchange. It's fun to see what books are traded. This year we had read a book by a friend of mine, Eileen Key, and in the book (4 short stories) there was a Christmas cactus in each story. One of our members brought one for each of us. What a special present!


Just before Christmas mom and I took a trip to Amarillo to see my brother and his wife. While we were there I had the opportunity to see some friends that I hadn't seen in many years! These were the couples that David and I ran around with in our early years of marriage. I only wish David could have been there to enjoy catching up with them and their families. Chuck & Kela hosted this party at their house and Chuck took this photo. After a lot of discussion it was determined that these couples represented over 44 grandchildren and 400+ years of marriage. To the same person! Now that's a rarity!


Then there was Christmas Eve. We always have Christmas Eve at our house and always will. It's just what we do. We go to church, then come back to the house for food and fun. After the kids have worn us down with the "is it time to open presents yet" phrase, we finally let them open gifts. Taylor has the best expressions! Honestly - can you see why he is so fun to buy for? And who would have thought he'd be sooo excited over a punching bag and boxing gloves??? He is really into wrestling but I wasn't so sure about the boxing stuff. But he sure made me believe he was excited! Thank you Taylor...

And Ashton.. well that's another story. I couldn't decide what to get the girl who is 11 turning 21. So, I decided to treat her like an adult and get her something more grown up. This is a frame that is magnetic so you can switch out photos or memorabilia as often as you want. The pictures I chose to put on her frame were from her birthday party with all her "girlfriends". She loved it! Whew. That was a close one. I also got a frame for Madi and Ashton helped me decorate it and choose the pictures. Now I know she knows how to change it out. Thanks, Ashton.


Austin got binoculars and a book about Texas Birds. He loves watching the birds and reading about them. He was thrilled as well - and believe me, he can tell you all about the birds in the back yard! He's a very smart boy. Madi was spending the Christmas holidays with her relatives in Chicago. We always miss her when she is not here for the holidays, but we shared Christmas with her when she returned and she, too, loved her frame. Looks like we hit a home run this year with the grandkids.

2011 is going to be a fun year with both David and I turning the big 60! I'm sure I'll have plenty to post on my blog as the year goes by.

Could this be my New Year's resolution? We'll see how long it lasts... keep your fingers crossed!

1 comment:

THE Stephanie said...

Love it!! And you made me tear up, too.

Love you mom!!