I'm a sucker for a deal - maybe that's why I have more clothes and shoes than room in my closet. I just can't seem to pass up something that really sounds exciting!
Got a call the other day from a "travel promotion company". Don't want to name them because it was me who was the sucker here. Anyway we had "won a trip!" Yipee! A cruise or a trip to Vegas. All expenses paid - no strings attached. "Just come and hear about us - we are new to the area... No high pressure and you'll get a $50 dining card just for being on time!"
I love cruises and both of us will be hitting the big 60 next year so what better way to celebrate.
NOT! We went and were even early. We knew it was a sales pitch - but what was there to lose? No pressure - and a dining card to boot! Talk about high pressure.... honestly - it was a fabulous deal [if you had thousands of dollars to sign up - that night only!] and besides it would pay for itself within the 1st 3 trips you took - like we could afford to take 3 trips...) and we politely said no thank you to our "interviewer". He then asked the main speaker to come talk to us. Again we politely said it was a great deal, but we didn't have it to spend, so no thank you. Guy #3 was obnoxious, pushy, and almost mean. After being told we would need to speak to one more person to get "checked out and receive our dining card and the trip we had "won" we got up to leave. But not before talking to the poor girl at the front desk who was there only to sign in people.
I guess our voices were loud enough to cause the "one in charge" to come, give us the vouchers and send us on our way.
Honestly people, this is such a scam. Please don't get sucked in like I did - wanting something for nothing. Nobody wins these kind of deals... What about the free dining card? Well, it's not free - it's a discount - if you spend $50 it will pay for $25. And the trip? We have yet to see that appear in the mailbox. I'll be surprised if it does...
Call me skeptical - but also call me a believer... at least my husband would like to think so...

No comments:
Post a Comment