Sunday, January 10, 2010

Somethings You Just Don't Have Any Control Over...

Saturday morning started out like most Saturday's - except it was crop day! And it was freezing! I wasn't sure anyone would show up for the crop - much less the Bible Study. I was somewhat right... no one showed for the BS, but a couple of die-hard croppers came for the crop. We stayed a couple of hours, got some pages done, then decided to call it a day.

I had several errands to run and wanted to see a friend (and fellow cropper) who had just come home from the hospital after having brain surgery. She is doing very well, considering, and I truly enjoyed the visit with her.

While talking with her I received a phone call from an "unknown number". Turned out to be Sterling House where my mom lives - apparently it got so cold during the night that a pipe burst in the ceiling and they were virtually flooded! Several wings of the building had to be closed and my mom's apartment was among those closed. Thank goodness she did not really get any damage - just a little water inside the front door, but the other units were literally under water!

This is the hallway coming out of mom's apartment. Those fans are everywhere and they are being used to help dry up the water in the rooms.
This is the hallway to the left of mom's apartment. It received the most damage. All the residents in this hallway had to be moved either to relatives or double up with some other residents. They have been working on getting the repairs done and everything fixed up almost around the clock.

Mom stayed with me last night and will be staying tonight. I will take her back to SH for the daytime when I'm at work - but we'll just have to play it by ear to see when she can return to her apartment to live.

I'm just so thankful that I live close enough that we can handle situations like this! We are having a good time, but let me tell you - she is ready to go "home". I guess the noise from the football game last night (GO COWBOYS) and just being away from her place makes her want to go home. That's a good sign in my opinion. I love my mom, but I'm glad she has a place she calls home.


3 comments:

Sue Heimer said...

HI Joanne! I am so thankful your mom is ok and has you close. What a Blessing for her. My computer has been down the last few days...thus the delay in response to your inquiry on my blog. Joanne do you have a email address that you could share with me to contact you? Thanks! Blessings, Sue

Eileen Key said...

What a mess! Glad she had minor damage. Give her a hug from me.

KK said...

It's a good thing you are nearby!