It's been a rough stretch for me - one of my best friends, Colleen, is still coping with the recent loss of her husband, and one of my dearest friends, Suzi, lost her battle with brain cancer the first part of June. These losses really hit me hard. Maybe they were just "too close to home". Our time on this earth is short compared to the time we will spend in eternity with the Lord, but knowing that and accepting it is not easy. I have seen first hand how it affects those we love and how difficult it is to deal with the everyday living that continues after the funeral is over. My prayer is that I will be "that" kind of friend who will be there when the walls cave in and the one that will give her shoulder to cry on yet offer a word of comfort when needed.
The summer has been HOT - did I say HOT? I mean REALLY HOT - almost unbearable. What's Up With That?? (oh, that is a subject all by itself...) No rain, just heat. Ugh! Normally I love the summer months - I love the pool and feeling the heat on my face. But these San Antonio summer months have been awful! Even the pools are "warm" and that makes it hard to even want to get in! All I want to do is go home and sit under our ceiling fan in our air-conditioned home and veg!
We did take a trip to Amarillo to see family and had a great time, but even there is was horribly HOT. Even hotter than in SA! What's Up With That?? (Again - I'll get to that...) The news said Dallas was hot - but Amarillo was hotter and had horrible wild fires to go along with the heat...
Of course, I did enjoy my birthday month (July) - as usual I stretched it out as long as possible. Made a trip to Houston with the whole family then continued to milk it for all it was worth with crop BD parties, M&M birthday parties, small group parties and staff parties! Face it - when you reach the big 60 you decide every chance you can celebrate is worth taking! As a side note - it really doesn't feel any different from 59... but now I'm officially a senior citizen.
What's Up With That? Oh, that is this great little women's group I co-lead at RCCC (River City Community Church). Every month we do a different activity with a short Bible Study. It's been hard to get off the ground - but worth the time and effort. Our first event in May was all about fruit - we had a produce manager from HEB come and talk about in-season fruits and veggies and give us some great tips on using them. In June we talked about summer activities for kids of all ages and how to help mom's cope with the "summer blues". In July we went to Fredericksburg, picked peaches and then at our event we all made homemade peach pies! Now that was awesome! And David really liked the pie... This week was our 4th meeting and we titled it "trash to treasure". One of my friends shared some of the things she had either gotten at garage sales or found in various places and showed how she had "recycled" them to be used either in her garden or home. Then the Director of CAM shared how we minister to those who are less fortunate than us and help them see that they are treasures in God's eye. It was a very moving and uplifting time. Next month is our jewelry swap... if you are in the area - check it out!
David is working 10 hour days and I've been swamped with a Back to School program where I work. Hopefully things will settle down soon and we'll get back to our "normal" lives. Until then - don't look for updates too soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment