Saturday, December 19, 2009

Read a Good Book Lately???

I am in the most awesome book club. It's a LifeGroup with CBC. We started about 18 months ago when my upstairs neighbor (in the apartment) and I found out we both loved to read! Kimberly and I started talking about having a book club and the rest of history. Every month we choose a book written by a Christian author and then meet to discuss our thoughts on the story and how it relates to our lives. We started with The Shack. That was life changing for me. I would recommend that book to EVERYONE. If you haven't read it - pick it up at Sam's or Wal-mart. It will be one of those you read over and over again.

Anyway, back to our book club... at Christmas time we have a tradition (if you can call doing something twice a tradition), of coming to my house in December, discussing the book we just read and then have a book exchange. It's been a lot of fun, and we have each gotten a great book to read that we might not have chosen.

Kim is finding out which book she has been blessed with - and we do this as a Chinese exchange - you know the drill - the item can be "stolen" from you and you have to pick another one! Her book turned out to be the Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.

Lee got an awesome book by Rick Warren.

Ann got the Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck. I manged to end up with that last year and just loved it. David and I even went to the live telecast at a local theater last year.

Claudette received a set of Karen Kingsbury books. I had read those as well. You will notice that there is not a picture of me opening my gift... well, that's what happens when the photographer (David) wasn't in the room, but I did get one I am anxious to read.. The Christmas Secret by Donna VanLiere. In fact, there were no exchanges done this year - everyone was very pleased with their book.

Now let me explain the red gloves. Kim had chosen our Christmas book this year - Sarah's Song by Karen Kingsbury. I was a little hesitant about it - the cover was very old fashioned and I just wasn't sure it was "my cup of tea". Boy, was I wrong! It was totally awesome and consequently the red gloves - my gift to the gals who came to our gathering. I don't want to spoil any of the story, so I'll leave it at that - but you must read it. It was one of the best books ever. And I'll remember the story for many years every time I see my red gloves!

If you are a reader and would like to join our group - just give me a holler and I'll get you the information on when we meet -


2 comments:

KK said...

I love you! Merry Christmas :)

Jenny said...

I am reading "The Shack" now. Next read is "Have A Little Faith" by Mitch Albom. I love books!

ps. miss you.