Saturday, December 20, 2008

Moving Mom

This is the Sterling House. It's an assisted living facility in San Antonio. It will become mom's new home right after Christmas.



I feel very lucky to have found such a nice wonderful place with such caring staff. Everytime I have visited, the personnel have been so sweet. They have answered all my questions and helped me understand that this is a great place for my mom (and hopefully Casey) to live.



The building is in the shape of a square and all four sides enclose this beautiful courtyard. There are trees and flowers everywhere. A beautiful walk takes you from the craft room to the front of the building where there is a TV room, the dining room and a nice seating area with a piano. When the weather is nice you can sit outside and watch the birds or if it's raining, there are covered areas where you can enjoy the courtyard as well.





Most of mom's furniture is too large for the apartment she will be moving into. It has a living area, kitchenette with a microwave and small fridge, a bedroom area with a large walk in closet and bathroom with a walk in shower. We want her to bring things from her home to make it more personal, but there were some things we needed to purchase for her. This is the love seat we purchased and it will go in the living room with her recliner and Casey's chair.



This media chest will go in the living room. Her TV will sit on top and she will have several drawers for storage. Doesn't this piece look like something mother would buy???


Casey and mom have a king size bed at home, but the bedroom area is too small for that so we were able to find a queen size bed, chest and night stand. I think she will really like these pieces. I tried to find things I knew mom would have picked out for herself if she could have. I had fun at Kohl's getting a new comforter set and some beautiful towels and a shower curtain for the bathroom.


I understand this will not be an easy move for any of us, but I hope Mom will adjust fast and realize we are doing what is best for her. I will be about 2 miles from her and can stop by after work on most days and have lunch with her from time to time. She will enjoy having other people around and I'm sure she will become the social butterfly she always was once she get's used to her new home.

6 comments:

Melissa DeSantis said...

Hi Jo Ann - Sterling House looks geat, and that is fantastic that is so close to your house. I'm sure your mom will enjoy it once she gets used to it. :)

KK said...

That can't be easy for you, but it looks wonderful!

Eileen said...

What a beautiful place! Give her a huge hug from me!

THE Stephanie said...

Everything looks beautiful, Mom. I know she will love it. She'll adjust...

Staci Loalbo said...

sooo pretty, and all the furniture is amazing. I love it!!

Lauren said...

We will be praying for an easy transition. This new home looks so inviting - I can't wait to visit Grandmother there.